Those serving on St. Mary’s Parish Council, do so under the ministry Called to Lead.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany has outlined that the formation of Pastoral Councils should include
- Prayerful Reflection
- The role of a Council is Pastoral & Visionary
- The membership should be truly representative of the Community
- The Pastor is to preside over the Pastoral Council
- The purpose is to:
- Develop a common vision & purpose
- Advocate for the poor and the powerless
- To extend Christian commitment to the surrounding neighborhoods & communities
- To orchestrate under the leadership of the Pastor a statement of mission for the parish Community & become the reference point for activity in the parish
- To provide recommendations as requested by the Pastor for parish priorities, directions, & policies through pastoral planning for worship, evangelization, outreach, stewardship, etc.
- To promote communication, understanding, and collaboration between the parish, the Bishop, the diocese and the universal Church